Saturday, August 18, 2012

Brrrrlap

Today was a craft day. I went to Hobby Lobby and got absorbed in the mood of a DIY project. I'm teaching a Sports and Entertainment Marketing class, so these will be displayed somewhere in my classroom. Might hang them from the ceiling. :)

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, 
I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. 
I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
- Michael Jordan

Supplies were easy and I got everything in one trip without a list
 - just went through the process in my head.

Supplies:
1/2 yard of each color of burlap (Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's)
Acrylic paint
Something round to trace if needed (basket, lamp shade, bowl, small table)
Scissors
Mod Podge
Hot Glue gun
Fiberfill or plastic bags

Directions:
1. Iron burlap to get the creases out.
2. Fold burlap in half
3. Trace shape onto burlap with pen on one side
4. Paint the border (if wanted)
5. Paint the inside details (laces, name, etc.)
6. Glue (with hot glue gun) a small portion in between the two layers 
under the border and by the crease, let dry
7. Continue to glue top portion of shape, let dry
8. Continue to glue bottom portion leaving enough space for the filler! (about 4 inches)
9. Stuff the shape with fiberfill or plastic bags until satisfied
10.  Glue the final opening
11. Optional: Since burlap frays like crazy,  I used mod podge between the two 
layers just outside of the glue to help the burlap last longer
12. Cut out shape and fluff like a pillow

Excuse the mess but I was allllll over the place. This was just before I glued, stuffed, and cut.

Next project is a burlap apple! :)
 Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment